I don’t like to throw out things when I can reuse or upcycle them. There are many ways how to use old jersey knit clothes or leftover jersey scraps. I’ll show you how I refashioned old boring and ill-fitting T-shirts into something I’d wear again! And I’d love to see your creative T-shirt refashion and upcycling projects! 😀 Share your knit fabric reusing and refashioning ideas in the link party below. The link party will stay open, so you can always add new upcycled jersey knit projects.
THINGS TO REMEMBER WHEN SEWING KNIT FABRIC
- you don’t have to hem t-shirt fabric: because it’s knit fabric it won’t unravel as easily as woven fabric
- use a ballpoint needle: sewing jersey with a standard sewing needle will make small holes along the seam and there might be even a run later
- use a zig zag stitch for the seams, so the seam stretches with the knit fabric
HOW TO FINISH THE RAW EDGE OF KNIT FABRIC
- leave the edge raw – knit fabric won’t unravel like woven fabric
- fold under once and zigzag – add more decorative zig zag stitches if you want
- finish the cut edge with a close zig zag stitch while stretching the fabric – it will produce a lettuce edge hem
- turn under twice and stitch in place with overcasting stitches by hand
UPCYCLE OLD JERSEY CLOTHES
Upcycle old, boring and ill-fitting jersey knit clothes into something you’d wear again.
Add lace to upsize an ill-fitting top.
Add A Collar
Upcycle a boring white T-shirt with a sailor collar.
Turn Hood Into Sailor Collar
Make a stencil and upcycle a boring top with print.
Add Contrasting Fabric
Upcycle a jersey sweater with contrasting jersey knit fabric.
SOMETHING NEW – TURN OLD JERSEY CLOTHES INTO SOMETHING NEW
Dress To Top Refashion
1920s-Style Bathing Suit
Turn Pajama Pants Into Leggings
TURN SMALL PIECES OF T-SHIRT FABRIC INTO UNDERWEAR
Make underwear with old jersey clothes and leftover jersey fabric – panties etc. don’t need much fabric.
Add a cotton knit underskirt to sheer skirts.
Turn old knit fabric clothes into stockings.
LEFTOVER JERSEY KNIT FABRIC
Use knit fabric as applique to upcycle boring white tops or dresses.
Cut it into fabric yarn and crochet or braid a rag rug.
SMALL KNIT FABRIC SCRAPS
DIY Pillow Stuffing
Use small jersey scraps as stuffing for pillows. Fabric scrap stuffing works especially well for floor pillows and dog beds.
Show what you’ve done with your old t-shirts and jersey knit clothes. I’d love to see your ideas! 😀
Below you can add your ideas how to reuse and upcycle old jersey.
– I also host a weekly link party Sew It Cook It Craft It where you can link up your DIY crafts, recipes etc. –