I don’t like to throw out things when I can reuse or upcycle them. There are many ways how to use old jersey knit clothes or leftover jersey scraps. I’ll show you how I refashioned old boring and ill-fitting T-shirts into something I’d wear again!
3 Things To Remember When Sewing Knit Fabric
- you don’t have to hem t-shirt fabric: because it’s knit fabric it won’t unravel as easily as woven fabric
- use a ballpoint needle: sewing jersey with a standard sewing needle will make small holes along the seam and there might be even a run later
- use a zig zag stitch for the seams, so the seam stretches with the knit fabric
How To Finish The Raw Edge Of Knit Fabric
- leave the edge raw – knit fabric won’t unravel like woven fabric
- fold under once and zigzag – add more decorative zig zag stitches if you want
- finish the cut edge with a close zig zag stitch while stretching the fabric – it will produce a lettuce edge hem
- turn under twice and stitch in place with overcasting stitches by hand
5+ Ways To Reuse Old T-Shirts
1. UPCYCLE OLD JERSEY CLOTHES
Upcycle old, boring and ill-fitting jersey knit clothes into something you’d wear again.
Add lace to upsize an ill-fitting top.
Add A Collar
Upcycle a boring white T-shirt with a sailor collar.
Turn Hood Into Sailor Collar
Make a stencil and upcycle a boring top with print.
Add Contrasting Fabric
Upcycle a jersey sweater with contrasting jersey knit fabric.
2. SOMETHING NEW – TURN OLD JERSEY CLOTHES INTO SOMETHING NEW
Dress To Top Refashion
1920s-Style Bathing Suit
Turn Pajama Pants Into Leggings
3. TURN SMALL PIECES OF T-SHIRT FABRIC INTO UNDERWEAR
Make underwear with old jersey clothes and leftover jersey fabric – panties etc. don’t need much fabric.
Add a cotton knit underskirt to sheer skirts.
Turn old knit fabric clothes into stockings.
Use jersey knit fabric as lining: Because jersey knit fabric is so soft, it makes a great lining fabric.
4. LEFTOVER JERSEY KNIT FABRIC
Jersey Knit Headband
Turn a strip of jersey knit fabric into an easy no-sew headband and embellish it with applique.
Makeup Remover Pads
Recycle old T-shirts into easy, no-sew, reusable makeup remover pads: They’re so soft and practical!
Use knit fabric as applique to upcycle boring white tops or dresses.
Cut it into fabric yarn and crochet or braid a rag rug.
5. SMALL KNIT FABRIC SCRAPS
DIY Pillow Stuffing
Use small jersey scraps as stuffing for pillows. Fabric scrap stuffing works especially well for floor pillows and dog beds.
Pinterest Group Board
Do you want to share your own T-shirt refashion ideas? Join my pinterest group board!
Here you can share your refashion and sewing projects, recipes and more!