I love to take part in instagram challenges – they’re so inspiring and great to meet like-minded people! Below you’ll find more than 25 monthly and year-long instagram sewing and historical costuming challenges. I’ll update the list from time to time to keep it up-to-date.
Monthly Instagram Challenges
Most of the following instagram challenges are hosted every year.
- January: #georgianjanuary Host: @dames_a_la_mode Historical costumes from the Georgian period (1714-1830) Website with challenge details
- January/ February: #smyly2018 Hosts: @athinakakou, @hattie_van_der_krohn & @lisakisch “The hashtag #smyly stands for ‘sewing makes you love yourself’. Sew a garment that makes you feel beautiful.” Website with challenge details
- February: #victorianfebruary Host: @americanduchess Victorian costumes and accessories
- February: #sewstripes and other monthly sewing themes Host: @sewcialists Website with upcoming themes
- March: #miymarch18 Hosts: @thatwendyward & @dressmakerssocial “Post a sewing themed photo to your Instagram account everyday in March inspired by the daily topic” Website with challenge details
- March: #makermarch2018 Host: @sewalteredstyle “Maker March is a daily photo challenge meant to bring together makers across crafts and across social media platforms” Website with challenge details
- March: #marchmeetthemaker Host: @joannehawker A challenge for small handmade business owners. “But it’s more than just a challenge, it’s a creative community that comes together to show people what they can do.” Website with challenge details
- March: #edwardianspring Host: faces_and_style Edwardian costumes and accessories
- March/ April: #dresslikeyourgrandma Host: @tanyamaile Sewing an outfit inspired by a vintage photograph Website with challenge details
- March-May: #makeyourstash Hosts: @pilar_bear & @timetosew Sew something with fabric from your stash Details
- March-May: #alittlelawnparty Hosts: @thebrightblooms & @handmadebyditsytulip “It’s a spring themed sewing challenge – make a garment that screams ‘spring’” Website with challenge details
- April: #artdecoapril Host: @lina_sewhistorically Historical costumes from the Art Deco period (1920s & 1930) Website with challenge details
- May: #memademay #mmmay18 Host: @sozoblog “Me-Made-May is a challenge designed to encourage people who make their own clothes to develop a better relationship with their handmade wardrobe. For example, a very common pledge is for a participant to aim to wear one self-stitched or refashioned garment each day for the duration of May.” Website with challenge details
- June: #colourmyeveryday Host: @adventuresandteaparties Colorful photos: “It’s an Instagram challenge to help you discover and appreciate colour every day, from outside your home to on your desk, in your kitchen cupboard and at the back of your wardrobe.” (+ a week long challenge in January and October)
- July: #thevintagefashionchallenge Vintage clothing
- August: #vintagesummerchallenge Host: @faces_and_style and @anneliesvanoverbeek Historical inspired costumes and vintage things – rather for instagram accounts with a large following
- September: #sewphotohop Host: @houseofpinheiro Sewing, knitting etc.
- September/ October: #fallforcostume Host: @redthreaded Historical costumes – my favorite historical costuming/ sewing challenge!
- November: #bpsewvember Host: @bimbleandpimble Sewing photo a day
Year Long Instagram Challenges
- #yearofmaking2018 Host: @kpwerker Create something every day: Crafting, sewing, baking … Website with challenge details
- #stitchaweek Host: @leahhalliday1 Create a sampler of 50 different embroidery stitches, one a week for the next year Website with challenge details
- #seamlesspledge Host: @elenacresci “No buying new clothes for the duration of your pledge. People who don’t sew can join in too, by pledging to buy second-hand clothing.” Website with challenge details
- #sewmystyle2018 Host: @jessicalorraine01 Sew 12 garments in 12 month with a new theme for each month Website with challenge details
- #projectsewit Host: @petitapetitblog Sew a garment each month – each month a new theme Challenge details
- #themonthlystitch Hosts: @thecuriouskiwi & @1107nikki “The Monthly Stitch is an international ongoing sew-along. Each month we post a new challenge theme and encourage participants all over the world to sew one or more items in that theme.” Website with challenge details
- #wearerealmoms & #lifeofrealmoms Hosts: @beingmammabear and others Details Instagram challenge to connect moms Website with challenge details
- #vintagepledge Host: @stitchodyssey Sewing garments using vintage or reproduction patterns Website with challenge details