I love to take part in instagram challenges – they’re so inspiring and great to meet like-minded people!
Below you’ll find more than 25 monthly and year-long instagram sewing and historical costuming challenges. I’ll update the list from time to time to keep it up-to-date (updated in 2021).
And I’m also the host of one of the following challenges: #HistoricalApril takes place every April – it’s a historical costuming challenge!
Monthly Instagram Challenges
Most of the following instagram challenges are hosted every year.
- January: #georgianjanuary Host: @dames_a_la_mode Historical costumes from the Georgian period (1714-1837) Daily prompts 2021
- February: #victorianfebruary Host: @americanduchess Victorian costumes and accessories
- February: #sewstripes and other monthly sewing themes Host: @sewcialists Website with upcoming themes
- March: #miymarch18 Hosts: @thatwendyward & @dressmakerssocial “Post a sewing themed photo to your Instagram account everyday in March inspired by the daily topic” Website with challenge details Daily prompts
- March: #sewhappycolor Hosts: @katiekortmanart “Make or wear something with color” Daily prompts
- March: #makermarch2018 Host: @sewalteredstyle “Maker March is a daily photo challenge meant to bring together makers across crafts and across social media platforms” Website with challenge details
- March: #marchmeetthemaker Host: @joannehawker A challenge for small handmade business owners. “But it’s more than just a challenge, it’s a creative community that comes together to show people what they can do.” Website with challenge details
- March: #edwardianspring Host: faces_and_style Edwardian costumes and accessories Daily prompts
- March/ April: #dresslikeyourgrandma Host: @tanyamaile Sewing an outfit inspired by a vintage photograph Website with challenge details
- March-May: #makeyourstash Hosts: @pilar_bear & @timetosew Sew something with fabric from your stash Details
- April: #historicalapril Host: @lina_sewhistorically Historical costumes from all periods Daily promps
- April: #crinolineapril2019 Host: @allfine.radosti Victorian costumes Daily prompts
- April: #sewapril2019 Host: @sewing_and_design_school Sewing challenge Daily prompts
- May: #thevintagefashionchallenge Host: @tinyangrycrafts, @makethislook & @iliveinmylab Vintage and reproduction clothing Daily prompts
- May: #memademay #memademay2019 Host: @sozoblog “Me-Made-May is a challenge designed to encourage people who make their own clothes to develop a better relationship with their handmade wardrobe. For example, a very common pledge is for a participant to aim to wear one self-stitched or refashioned garment each day for the duration of May.” Website with challenge details
- June: #colourmyeveryday Host: @adventuresandteaparties Colorful photos: “It’s an Instagram challenge to help you discover and appreciate colour every day, from outside your home to on your desk, in your kitchen cupboard and at the back of your wardrobe.” (+ a week long challenge in January and October)
- June: #gettoknowahomesteader Hosts: @atablefullinthewoods & @moderndaysoldways Homesteading daily photo challenge Details
- July: #summeronthehomestead Host: @essence_homestead Homesteading daily photo challenge Daily prompts
- August: #vintagesummerchallenge Host: @faces_and_style and @anneliesvanoverbeek Historical inspired costumes and vintage things – rather for instagram accounts with a large following Daily prompts
- September: #sewphotohop Host: @houseofpinheiro Sewing, knitting etc. Daily prompts
- September/ October: #fallforcostume Host: @redthreaded Historical costumes – my favorite historical costuming/ sewing challenge!
- November: #bpsewvember Host: @bimbleandpimble Sewing photo a day
Year Long Instagram Challenges
- #yearofmaking2018 Host: @kpwerker Create something every day: Crafting, sewing, baking … Website with challenge details
- #stitchaweek Host: @leahhalliday1 Create a sampler of 50 different embroidery stitches, one a week for the next year Website with challenge details
- #seamlesspledge Host: @elenacresci “No buying new clothes for the duration of your pledge. People who don’t sew can join in too, by pledging to buy second-hand clothing.” Website with challenge details
- #sewmystyle2018 Host: @jessicalorraine01 Sew 12 garments in 12 month with a new theme for each month Website with challenge details
- #projectsewit Host: @petitapetitblog Sew a garment each month – each month a new theme Challenge details
- #themonthlystitch Hosts: @thecuriouskiwi & @1107nikki “The Monthly Stitch is an international ongoing sew-along. Each month we post a new challenge theme and encourage participants all over the world to sew one or more items in that theme.” Website with challenge details
- #wearerealmoms & #lifeofrealmoms Hosts: @beingmammabear and others Details Instagram challenge to connect moms Website with challenge details
- #vintagepledge Host: @stitchodyssey Sewing garments using vintage or reproduction patterns Website with challenge details
12 thoughts on “Instagram Sewing, Embroidery & Historical Costuming Challenges”
Hi. Thank you for linking up to our challenge. Our new challenge is now called Life of Real Moms and you can add our Instagram link – http://www.instagram.com/lifeofrealmoms
Hi, thanks for letting me know! 🙂
FUN! I love instagram don’t you?!? There are SO many creative people out there.
Thanks for stopping by, Laura! I love instagram too!
So fun! Thanks for sharing at Friday Frenzy Link Party! PINNED 🙂
Thanks for pinning!
Instagram has so many cool things going on! I get lost in it for hours!
Thanks for stopping by, Colleen! 🙂
Thanks for sharing. I knew about #smyly and memadeay but the others are new to me. Instagram is a great source of sewing inspiration #mmbc
wow, I had no idea there were so many challenges on IG! Thanks for sharing with SYC.