Make a quick and easy crochet lace skirt from a tablecloth!
I’ve always wanted to have a crochet lace skirt but I didn’t want to spend weeks to crochet the skirt! 😉 So then I had the idea to turn a crochet tablecloth into a crochet skirt. And it worked! 😀
How To Make A Fast & Easy Crochet Lace Skirt From A Tablecloth
- crochet lace tablecloth* (I found mine on eBay)
- measuring tape
- sewing thread
- optional: sewing machine, elastic, crochet thread, crochet hook, satin ribbon
* You can use a round crochet tablecloth (like I did) or a square one: then the hem will be uneven. You’ll need a crochet tablecloth with a diameter of 60″/ 150cm for a knee-length skirt.
Measure your waist
Waist: Measure round your waist or hip, depending on where you want to wear the skirt. If you want to make the skirt without a closure, add some extra width to your waist measurement, so you can easily put on the lace skirt.
r: r = waist/2π. π ≈ 3,14.
Example: If your waist measurement is 90cm, then r = 90/2π = 45/π ≈ 14.
Cut the crochet tablecloth
Fold the crochet lace tablecloth twice and mark the center.
Use a measuring tape and draw a circle with your calculated radius (in the example the radius would be 14cm).
Now cut out the circle. (Don’t throw away the cut out circle, you can always use the lace for something else. I used it to make a crochet lace hat.)
Tip: Some crochet lace stretches more, some less. So better cut a smaller circle at first, then try on the skirt if it fits. And adjust the circle if necessary.
Zigzag to prevent fraying
I zigzagged round the cut out circle with the sewing machine to prevent the lace from fraying, but the lace hardly frayed at all.
Finish the waist of the crochet skirt
- Option 1: Just leave the cut edge unfinished (if the lace doesn’t fray badly) and thread a ribbon through the holes of the lace
- Option 2: Finish the waist with an elastic waistband
- Option 3 (which I did): Use a crochet thread of similar color and thickness and crochet casing around the cut edge. Thread elastic or ribbon through the crocheted waistband
Please Pin It!