Historical Sew Monthly – Edwardian Muslin And Lace Blouse

Historical Sew Monthly - Edwardian Muslin And Lace Blouse

I’ve sewn an Edwardian white muslin and lace blouse for challenge 8 of the Historical Sew Monthly.

edwardian 1900s lace muslin blouse lace yoke

For the yoke and sleeve insertions I used cotton Maline and Valenciennes lace.

lace yoke tutorial edwardian 1900s lace muslin blouse

Here’s my tutorial about how to sew an Edwardian lace yoke.

edwardian lace insertion tutorial

The neckline I finished with a hand-rolled hem …

attach lace yoke overhanding stitch

… before I attached the lace yoke with overhanding stitches. Here’s a close-up picture of an Edwardian lace yoke.

pintucks edwardian 1900s lace muslin blouse

The blouse has pintucks at the back.

button closure edwardian lace shirtwaist

The blouse is closed with buttons, and the lace yoke with snaps.

edwardian lace blouse sleeve
Cut out sleeve
1900s lace insertion
Sleeve with lace insertions and ruffles
edwardian lace insertion
Close-up of lace insertion and ruffle

edwardian lace insertion tutorial

Here’s my tutorial how lace insertions were made in the Edwardian era. This method I used for the top of the lace insertion.

1900s lace insertion tutorial

For the bottom of the lace insertion I used method 2 of my tutorial ‘How to attach lace the Edwardian way‘ as it’s faster to make and the ‘white shadow’ is hidden behind the Maline lace ruffle.

edwardian lace insertion front view
Front view of sleeve with lace

edwardian lace blouse cuff

The lace cuff I attached as here.

 

Challenge: 8 – Heirlooms & Heritage

Fabric: white 100% cotton UK muslin

Pattern: antique 1900s shirtwaist pattern adapted to make it fuller in front for the pouter-pigeon shape of the earlier Edwardian era

Year: 1903/ 1904

Notions: white cotton Valenciennes and Maline lace

How historically accurate is it? Very accurate

Hours to complete: about six or seven whole days

First worn: today for the photos

Total cost: 66$ / 59€

 

edwardian 1900s lace muslin lingerie dress

This lace blouse will later be part of an Edwardian lingerie dress which I’m sewing at the moment. It’ll have a mint green artificial silk corset cover and petticoat underneath – the same fabric which I used for my 1920s afternoon dress. I’ve already finished the corset cover, and another white cotton petticoat as the mint green petticoat didn’t drape well with just two petticoats underneath. The mint green petticoat is partly finished, but still without the hem, dust ruffle, and flounce attached. And I haven’t started the muslin and lace skirt yet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge